The Royal Academic Museum - A Modern Research Establishment
The Royal Academic Museum was established in 1773 as the first university museum in Germany. It was based on the natural history collection of the Göttingen natural scientist and professor Christian William Büttner (1716–1801). Johann Friedrich Blumenbach (1752–1840), appointed as curator of the museum by its director Christian Gottlob Heyne (1729–1812), divided the museum into four main sections: the natural history of humans, the plant and animal kingdoms and minerals. A pictorial section and a model chamber were annexed. By 1800, the museum was one of the main attractions of the University. With the diversification of academic subjects and their collections, the museum lost its central significance and was eventually dissolved. There is no record of a detailed classification system of its inventories.